Dane and I, two chemical engineering students at UF, were sent to South Korea for two months.
Google
 
Web oseasinkorea.blogspot.com

Monday, June 19, 2006

A goal and a cocky bastard

The past few days have been exhausting to say the least; for one, we had the aforementioned hiking trip which drained a lot of my energy, and then last night, which exacerbated everything due to Korea's game at four am.

I met with Junho at the entrance of the university at nine twenty pm. We headed to some bar near the university to watch the first of the three, World Cup games: Japan vs. Croatia. Due to Korean history, many Koreans despise Japanese, so much so that Junho referred to the Japanese Soccer Team players as "monkeys." So much so for the usual stereotype of an easy going Asian!

We began to drink HITE (of course) and some beef. The game was rather boring, as there was no excitement during the first half of the game, and even though things got a little better in the second half, neither team managed to score. Following the end of the game, we headed towards Daegu's World Cup Stadium, where they would show the Korea vs. France game. Junho began to annoy me at this point.

When we got there, he disliked the fact that the game would not be shown inside the stadium but outside, and that we had to sit (in his own words) "like beggars" on the floor. I found this comment rather pathetic, as I really didn't mind that insignificant detail; being surrounded by so many excited people is what makes the entire world cup deal such a great thing:


He kept on bitch'n about how the entire situation was a "stupid idea," and he began lobbying for us to go to some pub to watch the game. Since I had been the idiot who invited him to join me that night, I had no other choice but do as he wished. So off we went (walking) to some bar. This took about thirty minutes. When he noticed that the atmosphere was no where near as good as the World Cup Stadium's, he began to contemplate the possibility of returning. He ordered a cab (which took us to Yeungnam), got his car, and drove us to the stadium. On his way there, however, he yet again changed his mind.

He said that he had heard from the cab driver that there was a significant crowd at some fancy place in downtown, and that he would like to take a look, and so we did. He drove for about twenty minutes, and we were unable to find the promised agglomeration of people described by the cab driver. Seeing that there was no other option, Junho drove (rather pissed) at the stadium where he would have to dirty his pants with the floor's filth (such a cocky bastard!).

We met up with Dane, and things got better (at least for me). Junho kept on complaining about how he couldn't see, and that how he would prefer to be in some bar and blah, blah, blah. At this point, I began to ignore him, and started talking with some of the lab members that were there with Dane. Unlike Junho, I didn't mind sitting in the ground, and being surrounded by so many people; to be honest, i "dig it!"

The game began, and about twenty minutes into the game, Junho decided to leave (and that was good!). However, soon after, France scored! But I didn't let this fact deter me from my goal of having fun, so I proceeded to ignore it, and began drinking some HITE:

The game continued, and the sky began to lose its morbid color of black, changing very slowly into a merrier purplish blue.



The first half ended with no positive outcome for Korea. Dane and the other lab members decided to leave, but I would've be dammed if I'd left that day's trip half done! So I stayed, alone. The second half, well, I really don't know much, as I was freezing and falling asleep continuously throughout the game, but my perseverance was rewarded when Korea scored ten minutes before the game's end. In the process of celebrating, I made friends with this guy who also "works" in one of the Chemical Engineering labs:

Although the game ended in a tie, the outcome favored Korea, as it's currently on the top of his group. With the lab dude (i don't know his name, yet) we headed back to the University; he bought me breakfast, and then parted ways when I proceed to crash at the lab's sleeping room for the rest of the day.



That's that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home